Benefits of Music
Band and Orchestra
Instumental music programs build better students… and the facts from scholarly reports prove it!
New data provided by the Florida Department of Education, compiled from studies conducted throughout the state, illustrate a powerful correlation between participation in school instrumental music programs and higher academic achievement:
- Students who are enrolled in school music courses consistently score higher on standardized tests like the FCAT and the SAT than their non-musical counterparts.
- Students who are enrolled in school music courses consistently attain higher grade point averages than their non-musical counterparts.
- The more music courses a student takes, the less likely he or she is to drop out and not graduate with his or her class group.
- For the general population, the more music classes taken, the higher the student achievement in all measures.
- Participation in instrumental music has been shown to lower dropout rates, enhance creativity, and promote self-esteem.
In short, it is clear from the exciting results of these Florida studies that all students can benefit academically and socially from participation in school instrumental music programs.